Monday, March 29, 2010

Exalted

In reading Philippians 2 last week, I came to a realization about what it means to be exalted, or lifted up.  In John, Jesus speaks of how he will be "lifted up" just as the serpent was lifted up by Moses in the desert.  This lifting up has a duel meaning.  It refers to both the crucifixion he will suffer as a result of being lifted up by men, but it also refers to the fact that it is through this radical act of self-sacrifice that he will be exalted among the nations.  This is a lifting up accomplished by God, for God alone can turn the symbol of painful death that is the cross into a symbol of victory over death.  In reading Philippians 2, I realized that when it says that Jesus will be highly exalted by God, exalted is a slightly different form of the same word used in John 2.  What a difference there is between being exalted by man and being exalted by God!  Oh that I could find the strength to empty myself as Christ was willing to empty Himself, that the spirit of God might be made more manifest in my life.  As we look to the resurrection of Jesus, may we all find strength not in ourselves, but in the emptying of ourselves.  May we all find fulfillment not in our exaltation by men, but in the finding of our true identity and purpose in Christ.  As I was reading the prayer for Monday in the congregational prayer guide, I was struck by the power of this simple prayer in light of Philippians 2.  It is my hope that it will encourage you as much as it has encouraged me:  

O Lord, let me not from this day forward desire health or life, except to spend them for You, with You, and in You.  You alone know what is good for me; do therefore, what seems best to you.  Give to me, or take from me; conform my will to Yours; and grant that, with humble and perfect submission, and in holy confidence, I may receive the orders of Your eternal will; and may equally adore all that comes to me from You, through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen. 

--
Justin L. Simmons

No comments:

Post a Comment